The Apache JMeter desktop application is open source software, pure Java application designed to load test functional behaviour and measure performance.
Features of JMeter :-
1. JMeter helpful in making and Executing Test plans like simulate logging into a web site, simulate middle-ware and Database jobs , Generate and Automate real time application (Desktop/Mobile) scenarios etc.
2. Also helpful in simulating the number of users doing this, the rate at witch they do it.
3. It also helps for regression test by creating Assertions (Checkpoints) using regular expressions.
Some Basic Terminology of JMeter
- Test plan : Describes a test scenario
- Thread Group : represents users running your test scenario.
- Samples : a way of sending request and waiting response. HTTP request, JDBC request, SOAP/XML-RPC request and java object request are examples of samples.
- Logic Controller : used to customize the logic that JMeter uses to decide when to send requests
- Listeners : receives test results and displays reports.
- Timers : cause JMeter to delay a certain amount of time before each request that a thread makes.
- Assertions : test that application returns expected responses
- Scriptable Samplers : (BeanShell – for creating own script for your requirements)